Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Taxing times!

It is that time of the year when we are made to run around for submitting Income tax proof documents. It is no surprise that our tax laws are quite complicated (at least for my tiny brain) and we are left wondering if it is worth taking that effort to find information about tax laws. Adding to the woes, the standard template which the Tax department gives is always ambiguous; I had to talk to 3 people to figure out what I should fill in the column “Housing Loan-Total Interest paid” in form 12C [Is it Total interest component of the EMI? Is it only ‘my share’ of interest, considering the fact that it is a joint loan? Does it include pre-EMI interest?] And after 2 days of deliberation, it finally turns out that I need not fill form 12C as it is a self-occupied property! I am so glad that I don’t have anything to fill in other place holders, such as income from other sources, capital gains etc. Well, it is surely good to make extra money, but I have already had enough headache to fill in the existing ‘valid’ columns ;) The moment I dropped the tax proof documents in the drop box (at my workplace), I sensed a huge relief that I need not worry about this for another year, sigh!

No comments: