Reader's block..
I am going through a Reader's block, which appears to be quite severe this time. I wont call myself a voracious reader, when compared to chaps like Woodworm(in his former prime perhaps ;) ), who eats, sleeps and drinks any written material. I used to finish a book in 30-45 days. Depending on that book, I decide whether to read another one or lay low for a while. If I have a block, I stop reading for say 10-15 days and then start with another book. But this time, my reader's block is spanning months ! During this period, I have started a lot of new books and left them halfway through. Here is the list of books that I started (but never really completed):
1. One Hundred Years of Solitude - Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Suggested by my friend Mathi, I started reading this last October. Then came a series of US trips and I could never really complete it. But so far what i have read, it was pretty good.
2. Cloud Atlas
Woodworm's parting gift to me, yet to turn the first page ;)
3. Focault's pendulum- Umberto Eco
Recommended by Ditch long back, did not start !
4. The Art of Unix Programming - Eric Raymond
Purchased last year in one of the Book fairs that happened at Office, it is supposed to explain the "Zen Principles" behind Unix. I made fairly good progress, but something struck me hard in my head and I had to throw it in bin !
5. Three Men in a Boat - Jerome K Jerome
Started this after my Hampi trip, if I were in a good mood, I would have completed this 100 odd pages book in 2 days. Somewhere I lost the enthu and thats the end of story for that read. Anyway, I plan to read it during my Chennai trip next weekend.
6. The Mythical man month
S/W engineering book, what else can I say? I was so glad to read the first few pages of the book, especially when the author(a Project Manager at IBM) pin pointed that the main problem with S/W engineering is Estimation. Will probably read it sometime next year..
7. Godel Escher Bach..
Recommended by Woodworm, crossed the 75 page mark recently ! I would say it is a good progress, considering the content of the book. I heard that freeingmind is also reading this ...
I started Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, I hope I complete it successfully and come out of my block!
Wishlist :
Life of Pi - RSAS guys, lemme have the book, I know it is either Zygote or Freeing mind
Shalimar the clown- Rushdie rocks, always !
Works of Ayn Rand- I reserved this for post retirement life, but due to mounting pressure from Ayn rand fans, i am starting this earlier, probably by Jan 2006 :)
Now Playing : "Jeremiah Blues" - Sting
I am going through a Reader's block, which appears to be quite severe this time. I wont call myself a voracious reader, when compared to chaps like Woodworm(in his former prime perhaps ;) ), who eats, sleeps and drinks any written material. I used to finish a book in 30-45 days. Depending on that book, I decide whether to read another one or lay low for a while. If I have a block, I stop reading for say 10-15 days and then start with another book. But this time, my reader's block is spanning months ! During this period, I have started a lot of new books and left them halfway through. Here is the list of books that I started (but never really completed):
1. One Hundred Years of Solitude - Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Suggested by my friend Mathi, I started reading this last October. Then came a series of US trips and I could never really complete it. But so far what i have read, it was pretty good.
2. Cloud Atlas
Woodworm's parting gift to me, yet to turn the first page ;)
3. Focault's pendulum- Umberto Eco
Recommended by Ditch long back, did not start !
4. The Art of Unix Programming - Eric Raymond
Purchased last year in one of the Book fairs that happened at Office, it is supposed to explain the "Zen Principles" behind Unix. I made fairly good progress, but something struck me hard in my head and I had to throw it in bin !
5. Three Men in a Boat - Jerome K Jerome
Started this after my Hampi trip, if I were in a good mood, I would have completed this 100 odd pages book in 2 days. Somewhere I lost the enthu and thats the end of story for that read. Anyway, I plan to read it during my Chennai trip next weekend.
6. The Mythical man month
S/W engineering book, what else can I say? I was so glad to read the first few pages of the book, especially when the author(a Project Manager at IBM) pin pointed that the main problem with S/W engineering is Estimation. Will probably read it sometime next year..
7. Godel Escher Bach..
Recommended by Woodworm, crossed the 75 page mark recently ! I would say it is a good progress, considering the content of the book. I heard that freeingmind is also reading this ...
I started Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, I hope I complete it successfully and come out of my block!
Wishlist :
Life of Pi - RSAS guys, lemme have the book, I know it is either Zygote or Freeing mind
Shalimar the clown- Rushdie rocks, always !
Works of Ayn Rand- I reserved this for post retirement life, but due to mounting pressure from Ayn rand fans, i am starting this earlier, probably by Jan 2006 :)
Now Playing : "Jeremiah Blues" - Sting
1 comment:
Oye, I dont have 'Life Of Pi' with me. Search carefully in Woodworm's treasure hidden in the TV box :) or ask Woodworm.
Post a Comment